- August 12–22: Online Training (EU shift)
- FOSDEM Impressions
- June 8–18: Online Training (US shift)
- Non-monetary micro sponsoring
- November 11-12 in Frankfurt am Main
- Online-Training in July and August
- Oracle + PostgreSQL
- Party time
- PostgreSQL Performance Event
- SQL Server Performance Kurs in Stuttgart
- SQL Server performance training in London
- Shipping Terms
- The two top performance problems caused by ORM tools
- Top Tweets January 2013
- Training Survey
- Use The Index, Luke
The 3-Minute Test: What do you know about SQL performance?
“SQL-Tuning is black magic like alchemy: it consists of obscure rules, understood only by a handful of insiders.”
That is a myth. SQL databases use well-known algorithms to deliver predictable performance. It is, however, easy to write SQL queries that cannot use the most efficient algorithm and thus deliver unexpected performance.
The following questions provide examples that might make you believe that SQL tuning is black magic. The explanations at the end are just a few sentences long and reveal that the black magic is pure science.
Choose your Database